"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Saturday, December 6, 2008

dear dad,

Teach me how to dream again... how to build sand castles and make snow angels. When I get to Heaven, can I do them both at the same time?

After seeing You I'd like to see Nana, and Uncle Johnny, and who ever else may be there by then.

Please, please tell me that Biscuit will be there... I still miss him, and can't wait to hold him again.... OH... and Harley and Mooney too!

I would really like to meet Peter, and Stephen (does he have bruises?), Ruth and Boaz, and mostly... the thief on the cross who hung beside you and asked for forgiveness upon his dying breath. I would really like to hear what he has to say about that moment.

I would love to see old movies of Noah's Arc, the parting of the Red Sea, and the feeding of the five thousand (I'd love to try some leftovers... I heard you had lots).

Is Janis Joplin there? I know she lived a rough life, but I hope... well, I just hope she's there. I hope she's still singing.

Speaking of singers, Ray LaMontagne and Brandi Carlile would be fantastic additions to the Heavenly choir. They got soul... and no one knows that more than you. Keep your eye on them, will you?

I want to fall backwards and not worry about who will be there to catch me. I just want to fall... maybe even keep falling... like Alice in Wonderland, and have a cup of tea on my way down.

I want you to scoop me up, and I want you to hold me... for very long periods of time. Will there be time? If not, just hold me for however long that works.

People always paint a picture of Heaven as being white... all white. I hope not. I hope it's so full of color our eyes will explode. I hope we can breath in the colors, and feel them, and taste them.

Christmas... what's it like there? Do you do the whole 9 yards with crazy cool lights on a tree? Oh man, I bet you laugh hysterically at our Christmas trees... how glorious we think they are (and they are pretty) but man what a joke "pretty" must be to you. I can see you laughing now.

Although, you probably cry when you think about what we have turned Christmas into. I'm sorry we've missed it somewhere along the way. I'm sorry we forgot.

Even those big lit up plastic manger scenes... I would like to drop a note on the front step of those homes and say "nice try, but I still think you've missed it."

But don't worry, I won't.

I know in my own way, in my own humanness, as much as I think I've got it, I'm sure I've missed it too. A lot of it.

I can't wait to get there. I can't wait to get it. I mean, I'm in no rush, don't feel the need to speed up the process, but while being terribly afraid of the unknown, I so look forward to collapsing in your arms and just resting.

And You know what? It just clicked... just sitting here thinking about you (and a conversation I had with my roommate... who is awesome... thank you for that), something clicked...

Love. I get it. Faith, hope and Love, but the greatest of these is love. I finally get it. It is the greatest because it is the only thing that lasts... that is never ending. Not even faith and hope (two of our greatest needs) will last because one day, when we meet you face to face, our faith will be fulfilled and our hope will be met. There will be no need for it anymore, and all that is left is love.

Wow.

Thank you. And wow!

Maybe the Beatles did get it... all you need is love! (Speaking of, I'd like to see a Beatles reunion when I get there. Maybe we can sing that song.)

I'll say goodbye for now, but I know I'll talk to you soon.

I love you... as much as my human heart can mean that... I love you!

Love,
Your J


P.S...
Can we dance? A lot?

Even the Baptists... can they dance with us? A lot?

I sure do hope so!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear JJ,
I love the way you love our Heavenly Father, our Lord Jesus and our comforter, the Holy Spirit.
What a great entry - thanks for sharing.
I love you -
Love,
Ma