"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Thursday, November 11, 2010

snot storms around us

I really thought I had things figured out. I don't want to spend a lot of time feeling sorry for myself, but I admit, it's getting hard. I try to keep busy, or at least my mind occupied. When I'm not busy I try to sleep so as not to think too much. Maybe it's not the best remedy, but it helps. And that's what I need right now... help.

Not necessarily tangible help, but support, encouragement, and an occasion hug would be greatly appreciated. One thing I've really come to miss since moving away from friends and family is something as simple as a hug. It sounds cheesy, but it's true. I so often find myself saying "I just want a hug."

I want someone to hold me while I cry and tell me it is going to be OK. I want them to brush the hair from my face and pull me tighter. I want to lay my head on their lap and drip snot all over their jeans.

OK, I don't really want to do that, but let's be honest, snot storms are a huge part of good cries! And that's what I need... a good cry.

Before you offer, let me warn you, whoever is going to be there for my good cry is in for a killer snot storm!

Truth be told, I am OK. I know I've been discouraged since moving here and I've made that quite known in previous posts, but tonight I sat down to write about needing a hug, which I automatically assumed was going to turn into a depressing post, but when I heard Jonsi, the former lead singer of my favorite band, singing "Around Us" in the background, I found myself taping my feet and even smiling while typing about snot storms.

With his Icelandic accent I could barely make out the chorus, so I googled the lyrics. The musical composition of the song is just beautiful, but the lyrical content just made it that much better. I will leave it up to your curiosities to search for the rest of the lyrics, but here is the chorus...

We all want to grow with the seeds we will sow
We all want to go with the trees we will grow
We all want to know when we're all meant to go
To a place you and I - Will call home

I'm not quite sure how to sort through it all right here, right now, but this does me good. Especially since moving.

I just wrote all this cheesy stuff about sowing seeds, watching them grow, or not, roots being, well, uprooted, and all the lovely analogies that come along with growth and such, but... I erased it.

I will save that for another day. Right now I am feeling good and I just what to bask in that! If nothing else, I hope this post prompts you to check out the genius of Jonsi. Take a listen... I'll bet you can't help but crack a smile and tap a beat.

Thank you, Lord, for the good moments that make me smile and remind me...

life ain't all that bad!

3 comments:

Lauren Cobb said...

Hey JJ,
I know what you're talking about. I call it needing me some "Jesus with skin on." I pray for that often. Wish I could give you a hug. Love u - Lauren

Anonymous said...

After I moved from Moody, I realised that not many people hug in a context other than a close-knit community like that. It made me sad. Still makes me sad at times. Where have all the huggers gone?

Ian said...

I'll hug! I bought green pants just for the occasion!