"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Sunday, January 30, 2011

writing pants

Today someone read me a post from another fellow Portlander's blog. This Portland blogger seemed quite happy as a human, with lots of cute things to say and fun things to do in the Portland area. I loved it, in the sense that I wanted to be her, but at the same time, I didn't want to hear anymore, because I couldn't relate. At least not right now.


It was as my friend was reading about this Portlander's love of farm animals that it hit me... "I've become one of those depressing bloggers whom people might only read so as to feel better about their own lives." And that's only if they keep reading. Many stop at the first sign of depression.


My thoughts scrambled as I started to think about happy and fun things to write about so that I too could have hundreds of people comment on the things I have to say. Seriously? Hundreds of comments? About farm animals? And I get it... the point of blogging of is not to get the most comments, just like the point of facebook is not to get the most friends, but let's face it, when someone actually acknowledges they read what I write by commenting on it, or someone actually acknowledges they want to be friends with me, even if by facebook, it does put a little extra hitch in my giddy up.


Prior to hearing about the wild adventures of farm girl, I had gone on a walk around my neighborhood. I walked down to the local nursery and took in the beauty of all the trees and plants around me. If there's one thing I love about Portland, it is the epic trees in this town. I love trees. I love to draw them, paint them, climb them, swing from their branches and sit under their shade. I love how some change drastically throughout the seasons and some remain constant in their appearance. I love that some are weak and some are strong. I love that they are firmly rooted where they are planted. I love that they don't resist growth. I love that they provide shade and shelter. I love that they serve as homes, not just for animals, but for kids of all ages looking for the perfect fort. I just love trees. And Portland has some beautiful trees.

I realize this is where I should post pictures of some of the trees. I know farm girl would... she had tons of pictures of all the animals she described. I wish I could keep up with her, but alas, I cannot. And I am OK with that. For now.

The time will come when I will venture out with a camera and document this beautiful town. I've started slowly, but nothing is ready to share yet. For now, I will wait for my lunch to finish cooking (itself), sip on my coffee, and sit in front of my computer with my writing pants on. Yes, I have writing pants. I actually dubbed them my writing pants today. They are too comfortable (and too cute, if I might add) not to wear them while I sit and write. This is the method of accountability I have chosen. I love wearing these pants, so now whenever I put them on, I must write, even if only a few sentences to get the thoughts out of my head.

And so, I realize I don't keep an award winning blog with lots of profound things to say or fun things to do or make, but I feel happy when I write. So... if for no one else other than myself, I will keep writing... even if it depresses the hell out of whoever reads it.

Happy reading, Y'all!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like reading your blogs because they provide me with perspective on my own life sometimes =)

Unknown said...

I liked the story...