"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Monday, July 6, 2009

dinner's ready

Today a plane took off aimed in the direction of London, England, and on that plane were (and still are) about 10-12 people whose ultimate destination is Uganda, Africa.

I am not one of those people. 

And I can't tell you how hard it is to sit here and type that.

I could be on my way, back to Africa, but instead I sit comfortably in the house of which I live and wait for dinner to be fixed.

I will sit down at the dinner table. Someone will pray over the food, I'm sure. I will laugh through dinner. I will disconnect from this sadness that I feel inside me and try to be as present as possible among those I love. But when dinner is over, I will go to my room, I will sit on my bed, and I will sit in silence.

I can't predict what will happen, but I will sit, and be still, and think of how I wish I could be among those that I love... those in Africa. I may try not to cry, but odds are that might be how this picture ends up.

Even as I type this, I hold back tears, knowing that I don't want to head to the dinner table all teary eyed.

I can't help but ask God...

"What am I doing here? Why am I not on that plane?"

But there is nothing... 

just silence.




So I try again...

"God, why am I not on that plane?"



And I hear something...


"JJ... dinner's ready!"

I glance up at Him and I laugh, knowing that later He will be holding me when I cry, but until then I do my best to obey Him...

Dinner's ready, so I must go.

Until next time...




2 comments:

Shelley said...

I find that what I want and what God wants are similar, yet there is always a twist. JJ I asked you what it is that you would do if you knew you couldnt fail, all you could say was that you just want to love on people.
There is no better place that where you are. There is no better time than right now.
God wants you to love on some folks right here, right now.
Its not the end, only the beginning.

love you!

Anonymous said...

xray chick had some wise words -
couldn't agree more.
No time like the present!
Love,
Ma