"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Friday, January 15, 2010

growing up

geeez, it's been a while. i almost forgot my password.

i built a fort today.

my goal for 2010 is to get out of debt. i cut up my credit card, hid my debit card in my sock drawer and only carry cash with me so that i know exactly what i am spending and so that i can spend only exactly what i have.

yup... time to grow up. it kinda sucks. and it's kinda boring.

so i decided to build a fort.

i realize i need to grow up, not just for my sake, but for the sake of helping others... how can i support causes i believe in or travel overseas to remote villages when i owe the government a lump sum of money that isn't going to go away just because i do?

so... no more hiding. time to grow up.

which is why i built a fort.

i need to start being responsible, i get it. but today i realized... responsibility doesn't have to rule out creativity and imagination and adventure.

so... before heading off to work, i am going over my finances, organizing my budget, and paying my bills... all in the comforts of my orange and pink fort that i made this afternoon.

and the beauty of it is...

since i'm all grown up, i can leave my fort up as long as i want too!

i guess growing up isn't so bad after all.

4 comments:

Dan said...

I love it!

That's my favorite. :)

Donna said...

You are getting it! YAY! I LOVE YOU!!!

Missy said...

Discovered your blog today! It made me realize how much I miss you. Hope you're doing well! Wish I had gotten to see you when you were home over Christmas!

Love,
Missy

Unknown said...

I've always said the best part of growing up is eating ice cream for dinner.

Proud of you JJ!