"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Sunday, March 30, 2008

homesick


I miss...


my family. sailing with my dad. the river. the sun. catching a fish. riding a wave. riding in my brother's ghetto station wagon. biscuit. early morning runs. the creek. my jeep. my room. my mommom.



sitting under the pier. walking on the beach. building sand castles. peeing in the ocean. playing flashlight tag. catching lighting bugs. melody lane. pancakes for dinner. breakfast on the back porch. family bike rides. family vacations. family therapy.

mom's bun. the 80's. matching dresses. the old chapel. falling asleep in the pews. telling dad it was time to stop preaching cause it was time for lunch. telling everyone my dad only worked once a week. some of sunday school. most of edge. all of vacation bible school.


rapping with bobby. intimidating his girlfriends. tackling girls on the soccer field. especially the ones that liked bobby. fouling out of basketball games. friday night pizza. tony's famous pizza.


listening to music with betsy. dancing with bonnie. listening to betsy play the piano. listening to bonnie imitate rocky. laughing at, but mostly with, my siblings.







praying with my mom. hearing her voice in the morning. hearing her ask me to pick up my stuff off the stairs. guilt tripping her into letting me keep it there by saying some parents wish they had kids to leave stuff on the stairs.

dad coming home at the end of the day. the attack bunny when you don't get out of bed for school. piggy back rides. weekly check ins at starbucks. dad-daughter dates. parent's weekend. oyster roasts. not the oysters.






.............my family............................






praying... surfing... laughing... crying... singing... reading... writing... walking... talking... driving... sitting... growing... doing life... with emily.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been blessed... deeply, richly, in the fiber of ur soul Jennie Joy. MUCH has been entrusted to you..... Much fruit you'll produce.
thanks for reminding me of the inexplicable value found in family.
-moon girl

Shelley said...

makes me miss my sister....