"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Thursday, November 29, 2007

To my family



Dear Mom, Dad, Bonnie, Bobby, Betsy, and Mommom,

I wanted to share a brief moment of my thoughts while with you this past weekend. I so enjoyed your company more than I ever have, and I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for waiting on me to get to that point.
Thank you for waiting with me.
Thank you for waiting.
Thank you.


Journaled Thanksgiving Day 11/22/07


This morning has been awesome. We've all been hanging out in the kitchen, 1st over breakfast, and now everyone is getting together their contribution for Thanksgiving dinner. We're eating at 1pm and Uncle Bill and Aunt Teri and the kids are coming over. I have so much enjoyed being with my family, and I just keep trying so hard to live in each moment. Maybe too hard. but it's like everything is going by so fast, and I can't take it all in.
I'm in the living room right now, by the fire, and everyone is scurrying around in the kitchen. I can hear Bonnie repeating herself... "Here's the brown sugar, mom. Here's the brown sugar!" Mom keeps trying to show Bobby how to do something. The dogs are locked in the other room because Min (foreign exchange student) is deathly afraid of dogs. It must be so hard to live in such fear. But in all honesty, I think we are all deathly afraid of something... some things are just more outwardly expressed than others.
There's candles lit all over the house and it smells like the holidays. The music has been playing throughout the house, but it seems to have stopped at this moment.
I think I'll go fix it.
Or maybe I'll just sit here in silence with the noise of my family in the background... which reminds me of how thankful I am this Thanksgiving, and everyday for that matter. I have so much to be thankful for. Above all, my family.
I have an incredible family, and I'm starting to wonder why I'm sitting in here journaling when I could be hanging out with them. I guess I just never want to forget this.

---------------------------------------------------

That was just one moment out of many.
I know y'all know that over the years isolation has become quite a comfort zone for me. I naturally tend to isolate, if not intentionally. This weekend, being with y'all, my family, not only made isolation uncomfortable, but unwanted. Thank you.

I love y'all!
Love, JJ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JJ - This was awesome! I am so thankful for you - Thansgiving was awesome for me too! Thank you for coming and being you and sharing all that you are with us (me)!
I loved being with you. Thanks for writing your thoughts so that I could read them!
I love you,
Mom

Ally Holm said...

JJ among many other things you are awesome at- you are a WONDERFUL writer.
I'm so glad to be a part of your life and have you in mine!