"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

You

You are imperfectly known,
but I am perfectly loved.

You are the rock that I trust like quicksand.

You are the future that I fear and the mystery that I hope for.

I pray You are the right that shows me I am wrong.

You believe in my unbelief,
and You love what can't be exposed.

You are the music too beautiful to be heard.

You are the love too strong to understand.

You have forgiven me too simply for me to accept.

You hold my hand that has not been washed.

Your voice is so loud that it comes in silence.

You broke what I thought had been whole,
You made whole what had really been broken.

I gave You reason to walk away,
You came closer.

I pushed You away,
You pulled me with you.

I try to earn what You have already given me.

It's hard to love you because you love me so easily.

I boast that I know You, but don't act like I care.
I act like I care, but don't boast that I know You.

You let me rest when I try too hard.
You let me rest when I don't try at all.

My life is Your workmanship,
Your life is my performance.

My life is Your work,
Your life is my job...

And again, I try to earn what I have already been given.

You scare me.
You suprise me.

You take what I want and You give what I need.

I hate what I need and I love what I want.

I love to disagree with You,
and I agree I don't know better.

I think that I know,
You know what I think.

You know what I think...
and You love me.

Your love is always consistent,
I can never decide.

You love commitment,
I like my options.

You offer life,
I offer nothing.
You accept.

And despite who I am to myself and to others,

You love, love, love me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU-- are such a gifted writer! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings through your life and words!
Love,
Mom