"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Women...

Oh my gosh...

They are crazy, and weird, and I don't get them at all...

But they are phenomenal!

I'm amped right now. I, being a woman can fess up to being crazy, and weird, and even not understanding myself, but I can also fess up to being phenomenal... not because of anything having to do with me, but everything having to do with God.

I want all women to embrace the craziness each one of us have, the insecurities, and the false hang ups, but I also want all women to realize how amazing God made us, and how phenomenal we are.

Our flesh is weak, but our spirit is strong. And while I am insecure in my flesh, I am totally confident in who I am in Christ.

So... on that note... here's why I'm so amped, and on this "We Can Do It" female rant...

I've been talking with a college age girl at church for a while now about everything from sweaty armpits and bodily functions, to physical boundaries and just life in general. And of course... boys. Or maybe I should say one boy in particular... the guy she has been seeing for quite a while now.

As we have talked the past few weeks she has expressed her awareness of it being an unhealthy relationship and recognizing that she needs to get out of it... but also recognizing her need as a female to be in it. This is not uncommon in the least among the female population... the desire for companionship even at the cost of settling for something less.

I have prayed for her and thought about her situation, and in all honesty, in my own ignorance as a girl have doubted her strength to get out.

After tonight, I realize it's not her strength I was doubting, it was God's.

She told me tonight she ended the relationship, which was music to my ears... but at the same time I have heard it before so I felt unsure of how long it would last. Again, I recognize my own ignorance and doubt... God is still working on me.

She asked me if she could read me the letter she had written to him to explain why the relationship could not continue, but instead handed it to me and had me read it myself.

I heard God's strength in her voice in the letter she wrote to end her relationship of a year and a half... and I heard my doubt silence.

With her permission, I wanted to post the beginning of the letter, not just because I was proud of her, but because I think it's something that every girl needs to hear, believe, and live out in everyday life. It is the heart of a Christian woman, and it is real, and it is not wrong. Yes, we love God, but we live in our flesh... and to silence the struggles of a Christian woman, or of any Christian in general, is to silence the redemptive power of God.

Her letter begins...

"I care about you a lot. I would even say I really do love you. But I am just so tired. I'm emotionally drained and physically exhausted.

When I said that I felt used, I don't know if that was the best word to use to describe it. See, yes, I did want to have sex with you; but it's sex, who doesn't want to have it? I still want it, and I still want it with you, but it's not right. I tried to explain this to you hoping that you would respect me, and I was shot down every time, only to feel like in order for you to be happy with me, and want to be with me, and for me to feel close to you I would have to sleep with you. So no, I didn't say no, and yes, I did want it. and for you to fully understand what i want and how i feel now, you would have to be on the same page as me with the whole God thing, and you're not. and that's cool, that's your thing, but see, God's my thing.

You say I have changed, well I have. I've grown further and further from God as I build my wall up and as I grow further, my heart grows darker, and as my heart grows darker I begin to not be who I am or who I want to be. And that is no one's fault but mine. But you don't want God to be the center of your life or your relationships, and I've slowly learned that I do; and I need a man who is willing to stand by me and encourage me and lead me on my walk with God."


Excuse my language, but HOT DAMN!!!

I'm sorry, it just calls for it.

Girls... believe it. Believe God. Believe his goodness. Believe in his faithfulness to those who wait. I am not going to lie... it's hard. Being a woman is hard. Being a Christian is hard. Waiting on the Lord is hard. Life in general is hard... but please hear me when I say... "IT IS SO WORTH IT!" And hear God scream out as he agrees and says "I PROMISE!"

2 comments:

.:Meghan:. said...

Word, sister!

Unknown said...

sometimes, i have to come back to this post just to remind myself of why i am doing what i am doing, and that it's ok to be where i am at.

thank you JJ.