"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Thursday, July 10, 2008

dry

I went dry.

We spent a few days in a couple of other towns about 5 hours away from our home in Kampala. Towns that don't have much. People that have nothing.

Non-stop... holding people... hugging people... loving people... non stop.

I went dry.

There comes a time when it gets to be so overwhelming... the disease, the poverty, the orphans, the widows... there's so much... when does it end?

Does it end?

What the hell are we doing here?

Does it even help?

God, I hope so.



I think it does... I think just holding them does something to their souls that no medicine ever could.

I hope so, because we ran out of medicine. So we just held them... people who aren't used to being touched... we just held them.

I went dry.

That night during devotions I cried. "I love loving these people," I said, "but I've only got so much to give... I just want someone to hold me."

I did... I wanted to be held. That day I felt like I had nothing left. I wanted so badly to love some more, but I had nothing left. The last time I was truly held was on a bus ride during team two, when my Ugandan dad, Chris, just held me in his arms while I cried... my first cry of the trip. I've cried a few times since then... but that was the last time I was really held.

And that's when I realized... it's true... being held does something to our souls that no medicine ever could.

And that night we had devotions my team mates hugged me... some even held me.

And today... I held more people. So many children... I just held them... all day. And it wasn't by my own strength that they were held.

I know I should be spiritual and say "it was by God's strength," and I know it was... but He used my team to strengthen me. To leave them out would be to say I don't need them... and I do. I need community. I need to be loved.

And I'm OK with saying I can't do it all on my own.

6 comments:

Shelley said...

the poverty never ends, but we can never ever run out of love. God is our fountain.

I love you and miss you, hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow - you filled my cup by what I read about the dryness you experienced that led to the realization that all of us need to have our own cup filled through the love of God....and others.
Thank you, dear JJ. I love you and can't wait to hug you - I mean hold you!
Love,
Ma

Unknown said...

I'm sending you a giant sweaty armpit hug.

:)

Chris said...

I've more hugs for you

Love, Chris (aka Dad)

Deb (aka Mom) sends her love.

WE MISS YOU!

Anonymous said...

Dear JJ,
When we did the church service last Sunday, Chris had put together a slide show of our mission trip with lots of pictures of you in it. When you posted your thoughts of needing to be held and your experience of being held, I thought WOW. The song Chris put with the slide show was "HELD" by Natalie Grant. God is good.
Maybe you really are his long lost daughter???
Love Debbie (Mom)

Anonymous said...

JJ,

I don't know you, nor do I think I ever will. But the Lord compels me to write a word of Hope to you.

Your heart and your pain are known. The Holy One has heard your cry. Fall into His arms of love, though the falling may be full of fear and dread. He desires to hold you as His child, in the comfort of His nail-pierced hands. No tear falls without His knowing. His love is everlasting. He has called you His Precious Bride. You are dearly loved by The Bridegroom. Vindicate not, He shall comfort you and ensure justice on the evil one.