"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Friday, July 25, 2008

talented

My phone rang at 4:30 this morning.


I thought it was a friend I made while in Africa who had a terrible concept of the time difference, but it wasn't.


Excitement got me up out of the bed. Disappointment set in when I saw the screen.


It was Starbucks... my job. Not only was I disappointed that it wasn't my friend, apparently I was scheduled to open this morning, but I didn't know it.

Double suck.

So... I did the mature thing... I hit ignore and went back to bed. I figured if I didn't actually listen to the message until after my shift was over then I could say "oops, I'm so sorry... I just got the message and I had no idea."

I realize that's a crappy thing to do, especially when you check your message and you realize it's your good friend that you work with asking you to come in, but I some how justified in my mind that I did not need to go into work today... I just got back from Africa!

Yea, 3 days ago, but still... jet lag... hello!

Truth be told... I haven't even had jet lag. I got home late Tuesday night, went right to bed, woke up early Wednesday morning, and I've been on schedule ever since. Jet lag was my excuse... until my confession just now.

So I don't have an excuse for tomorrow... I have been warned that I have to open in the morning, and since I have already outed myself on the jet lag thing, or lack there of, I will go to work, and I will smile, and I will hand out coffee, and I will give back change, and I will pretend like that is exactly where I want to be.

Tomorrow I get to use my talents. Tomorrow I get to act.





I miss Africa.

No comments: