"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Sunday, January 25, 2009

two birds

I think I'm starting to get sick.

I woke up with that scratchy throat feeling... the one the prefaces the sore throat and all the snot that jumps out from the different locations of your face... yea, that one... I woke up with that one.

My first thought was "oh crap!"

My second... "where the heck did all my blankets go?"

I'm a mover... even in my sleep... therefore I never wake up with my covers actually on me. You would think that by now I would be used to waking up with my covers on the floor while I lay freezing on my bed curled in the fetal position, but no... every morning I wake up and am just as shocked as the day before to find that someone seems to have taken my covers... again.

After re-adjusting under my many layers of blankets, I went back to my first thought... "oh crap!"

"Man, I don't wanna get sick!

Of course, who actually wants to?

Well, Phoebe did in that one episode of Friends... she thought it made her voice sound sexy when she sang.

Huh... there's a thought... but no... I don't want to get sick!"

I got up and looked for some Orange Juice, hoping to pump my immune system full of vitamin C, but found nothing even remotely close to that of Orange Juice (I don't know why I feel the need to capitalize Orange Juice, but for some weird reason, I do... so I will).

Instead of finding any juice at all in the fridge, I found 3 and a half gallons of milk... not all of which are mine, but good Lord, could a fridge possibly house any more milk at any one given time?

There are three girls (in the house) at the moment, so even if we each had our own gallon, which I'm assuming is the case, whose the half gallon for?

Anyway, neither here nor there... just a side track.

Since I had no juice, I opted for fruit... but I had no fruit. So I opted for the next best thing... fruit roll ups! I figured this would be a good way to get my vitamins in and kill a second bird with the same stone by benefiting the snot factor more so than the milk.

Mission accomplished.



And then I sat down to write. Not even necessarily about fruit roll ups and snot, but that was the first thing that came to the tips of my fingers, so I let it flow.

And now I'm done... completely distracted from what I thought I was going to write about, unable to even remember what that is, and I feel content.

My stories of fruit roll ups and snot may not change the world, or even spark the mind of the person(s) who does, but in this moment of just sitting back and enjoying life for what it is, I am OK with that.

I can't always be a superhero. I can't always be a Jerry Lewis. I can't always be a Beth Moore, or a Rob Bell. In fact, I can't always be the JJ that people expect me to be. Sometimes I'm just Jennie... and I am OK with that.

And so... this morning I am taking the world off of my shoulders and just taking it easy. I am going to sit back, and let God be God.

I am going to rest in the peacefulness of today, knowing that in God's time, He will use me,

after which... the world may never be the same!





So rest up friends, and be willing to be used!

But once willing...
be prepared! Cause He will use you,

and after which... the world may never be the same!

4 comments:

Dan said...

Being sick is pretty terrible. I've been off and on for three weeks, which has never happened before.

Something you may wish to know is that any sort of citrus juice contributes to flegm. Even if you avoid the milk, you'll be in trouble with the Orange Juice.

Good luck.

J Joy B said...

oops.

crap.

and thanks.

Anonymous said...

You deserve to just be you--yay!

I suggest Emergen-C. I swear I have no affiliation with them, I'm just ardently in favor of convenient drink packets.

Finally, I love your last post. LOVE. A "post-partisan world" is a buzz phrase that can't become a reality without words like that. As your resident Dem, I will take the challenge of looking at issues from other people's eyes. Thank you.

-Heidi

Anonymous said...

JJ - loved your writing - in fact, it reminded me to double up on my vitamins especially echinacea and garlic during the winter!
Love you,
Ma