"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Saturday, May 15, 2010

learning to drum


I went to Africa once,
and I learned how to play the drums.
I learned that anyone can play the drums for children who long for your presence and not for your skill.

I miss Africa,
and I miss playing the drums.
I miss playing drums with the children whose presence I still long for... not their skill.



This is my small attempt to remember Africa today.


It was almost two years ago that I was there, and I almost forgot.

How could I forget?



Maybe I'll get a drum set.



Or maybe...

I'll just go back to Africa!


Any takers?

2 comments:

Patrick Smith said...

You might look for a drum circle close to home. Seems as if most large metro areas have a few. Bring a little Africa here until your return.

J Joy B said...

:) huh... i like that!