"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Monday, May 3, 2010

moody misfit

The day started the way every Monday does... therapy.

I sat in her office with confusion and frustration about where I'm at in life. The confusion and frustration being that I don't know where I'm at in life.

I'm an explorer, I'm a traveler, I'm an artist and a writer. What am I doing in grad school at Moody Theological Seminary? I don't need a master's degree to love people the way Christ has taught us to love, so what am I doing in pursuit of one? And why at Moody?

I can definitely say that I am a minority amongst the Moody culture... not racially, but Spiritually, I guess. I may have been a (Southern Baptist) preacher's kid, which would typically make Moody a good fit for me, but maybe the mere fact that I was a (Southern Baptist) preacher's kid is why I now find myself in opposition to a lot of the extreme conservatism I have encountered at Moody.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming Moody... it is truly an amazing school and I have learned more about Scripture in one semester than I have my whole life, but I would be lying if I were to say I fit perfectly into the Moody culture.

My therapist, being a graduate of Moody, understands this completely, as she herself was a misfit when she attended.

I sat in her office and I listened to her affirm me in being a Moody misfit. She said it was OK and that I don't have to conform, which was tremendously freeing for me seeing as that she not only graduated from Moody, but is currently on staff.

I love watching movies of all sorts, I love music of all genres (minus techno unless... nah, minus techno), I don't always have the cleanest language, I think the whole idea of "courting" is stupid (feel free to ask for a definition), I go to comedy clubs and live shows, I enjoy a good glass of red wine (or let's be honest, even crappy red wine), I love to dance... maybe not so much at dance clubs, but any and everywhere, and even though I know the Bible is critical in drawing closer to God, I feel I draw the closest to Him through music and travel.

These are not necessarily characteristics that Moody hopes their average student exhibits.

I am not their average student. Yet I am here. And the question is, do I stay and battle through that or do I go and find a better fit for me? Neither is right or wrong, God will be glorified regardless, so if its simply just a choice I have to make, how do I choose?

Come fall, all of my roommates are moving on to their next phases of life, which means they are moving on from this apartment we share. As much as I love the excitement and adventure of the unknown, I'm also terrified of it... but the combination of feeling both emotions so intensely makes me feel truly alive. And even though I may not know where I'm at in life, I can't necessarily say that I don't like it.

Though there is confusion and frustration, there is peace in knowing that God has got me. And even though I often do, the truth is that I do not have to worry about anything, because God has got me. He's got me now and He's got me come fall. And whether I move on or remain a Moody misfit, God has got me.

As Sam Cooke once sang so beautifully, "a change is gonna come" but I'm not worried...

because God has got me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a misfit is a strange sort of badge to wear around here. I'm not sure what it's like in the grad-school but in the undergrad people tend to fall into two categories: Either the uber-conservatives or the outspokenly rebellious anti-moody haters. I like to think that I exist somewhere amongst the in-between. Moody's been good to me but it's also been bad. Some of the best people I've ever met are here and also some of the worst. I've learned to both love and hate theology in different ways and at different times. But more than anything, I feel like moody is what you make it. And while it hasn't done me any favors in regards to what my major is (I'm essentially a creative writing major and most of the classes are pretty weak) it's helped me to realize a lot about people, about "Christians", about myself, and about God.

Four years of being a misfit are coming to a close in the next two weeks and in a strange way, I'm walking away with more blood on my hands than when I arrived; my faith is no longer a simple thing that excludes certain stories or movies or songs due to "questionable content" and I can't wait to have a beer at the end of next week but just because it's a more difficult faith doesn't make it bad. In fact, it is more of a reasoned faith than a blind faith and I believe that is what God wants from us. Would he really want us to just blindly follow these pastors and preachers? No, he wants us to test everything and hold onto what is good.

And I'm sure you know all of this, it's certainly nothing groundbreaking or new, but I felt the need to say it anyway.

Being a misfit is a wonderful thing. Embrace that, whether you leave Moody or not, it's super important to be yourself. Even if that means people think you're weird or silly or less holy than they are.

Also, I think it is important to note that, at this juncture, I've had very little sleep for 48 hours and have decided not to proofread any of what I've written here thus far. So, if this makes no sense, that is why. And that is all I've got. Bye.

Gene and Luke Weaver said...

Yo - JJ. You know what I think? I think you have it figured out and you are trying to help the rest of us misfit want-to-be's.

Peace - G

Anonymous said...

JJ - Thanks for sharing - I have felt like a misfit in many settings as well - I am learning (at my age) that my greatest peace has come from keeping my eyes on Jesus, my mind in His Word and my feet on the ground.
I love you - Mom