"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

300

As dorky as it may sound, I hate essay questions that limit the amount of words you can respond in. I understand that admissions boards across the U.S. don't have time to read a novel written by each and every student who wants to attend their school, but sometimes (again, as dorky as it may sound) I dream about being the one small exception to this word count rule and write endlessly about every reason why I want to attend said school and every step in life that has led me to that decision.

I need to get better dreams.

In one particular application for an art school (one I'm still hoping to hear from), I was asked when it was I first got involved in the arts and why it was I wanted to pursue a degree in art. Excited to answer yet disappointed about my maximum 300 word limit, I tried to figure out how to fit a lifetime love of art and an unceasing desire to express my creativity into one small paragraph.

Unsatisfied with any and everything that I wrote because I felt like I couldn't fully express how I felt, I finally threw together the best summation I thought I was going to get out of having such a small word limit.

My answer about the when's and the why's of art and art school was as follows...


"I have loved the arts for as long as I can remember. From coloring on my bedroom wall to arranging bubblegum I stuck under my mother's coffee table to make it look like a hidden galaxy (I got in trouble for that one), I have been coloring, creating, crafting and painting ever since I was little. My love for art grew as I entered middle and high school and much to my mother's excitement I abandoned the bottom of her coffee table and discovered the canvas. Art is the one of the few things that has remained consistent in my life. No matter where I have moved, the changes I have made, the relationships I have built or sometimes lost, art has always been a constant friend allowing me to express myself through the ups and downs on this roller-coaster of life. Unfortunately, I listened to a number of voices throughout the years that said I would never be able to accomplish anything with art, so I pursued a corporate communications degree. As a college graduate, I constantly hear that I should move on and be successful in the corporate world; and while I understand the thought process behind this thinking, I can no longer continue to ignore the creative voice within me that screams to be unleashed. I would even love to learn how to incorporate my passion for art with my hard-earned communications degree. I can honestly say I don’t know what my career options are as an artist, but I so badly desire to learn and be part of a community where I am encouraged to develop the talents and gifts I know I have been given in the area of art and creativity. Art makes me feel alive and I want to start living more abundantly."





300 words exactly. To be honest, I was more impressed with making the word count than my actual answer, but I find myself satisfied nonetheless. It may not be the answer some people are looking for, but it's the truth, and that's pretty much all I've got to write about.


I'll keep you up to date as the details unfold.

No comments: