"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Thursday, June 3, 2010

scholarships...

I've been looking all over for them.

The trouble is... I'm a single, white, female with no kids (and no, this is not a personal ad).

I'm not going to claim that I know more or even as much as any other race about discrimination, but I have to be honest, it would be easier for me to find a scholarship for school if I was any race but white (or for those who think I should be politically correct, Caucasian). A few of the scholarships I have found that are at least available to white women are for those who are single mothers.

Let me get this straight... in order to get help paying for school, because let's face it, I'm white and apparently all white people are rich and don't need help paying for school, I'm going to have to get pregnant.

I am so frustrated! So, just because I have tried as hard as I can to live out my morals and values, I can't get money for school? And I'm not even saying that my morals and values are the right morals and values by which everyone should live, I'm just saying that I have morals and values that are important to me and I shouldn't be discriminated against for having them. And just because my skin is white and English is my first language, I can't get money for school... in America?

I hate discrimination. I hate it. And I realize that being a English speaking, white woman this is a touchy subject for me write about because what do I know, right? But let me (or Dictionary.com, rather) define discrimination:

Discrimination: treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit.


With that definition in mind, please know that I am not speaking against those of another race or those who are single mothers. I have friends whom I deeply love, some of which are single mothers, and some of which are a different race, who want to go back to school and I am absolutely in full support of them getting scholarship money to do so, not because they are a minority, but because they are individually gifted beyond belief.

I am just saying, just as I would say to my friends, that I too want a fair shot at scholarship money... not because I'm white, but because I know I have talent, and I know I could go far with it if given the chance.



I just want the chance... simply based on individual merit.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Try Fastweb.com they have scholarships for just about anything, might have to write an essay or something but they sort by age, and all that to find better matches for you.

ASTRA REED said...

Yea this is really a good site named as fast web. com try this you will find the solutions of every problem as you said you need scholorship you might serch this site...

Anonymous said...

And dear girl, I applaud you in keeping your morals high and strong in conviction, and I cheer you on in keeping them that way!!!

Love you!
Sally S
And...Keep hunting for the help!

Anonymous said...

i hear you, dear girl. joe is experiencing the same thing. only he doesn't have the option to get pregnant. So! at least you've got one up on him! :)

Arianne said...

OMG!! I completely feel you on this one!
Here is my problem,
If you're any race but white
If you’re gay, lesbian, bi, trans, or queer
If you’re disabled in any way,
If you don’t eat meat
If you’re living on your own,
If you’re married or widowed
If you’re in high school
If you’re older than 25
If you’re left handed
If you’re short
If you’re tall
If you’re pregnant or have kids and your single
If you did poorly in school but want to go back to school
If you’re adopted or in foster care or one of your parents is dead
If you’re beaten or battered or abused in any way
If you’re an atheist
If you’re a Wiccan or pagan
If you’re an international student or your parents are illegal aliens
If you’re good at sports
The list goes on and on and they ALL have scholarships
But what if your a white, straight, healthy, loves a good burger, living with her parents, not broke but don’t have anywhere near enough money to pay for school, single, college freshman, 22 year old, right handed, average height, no kids, socially well behaved, 3.8 GPA, GED recipient, Happily living with both living parents with a good home live, not beaten or battered in any way, Christian church attending, US citizen with a long bloodline of US citizen’s, little to no hand eye coordination, and no (I mean no) local clubs or groups (we literally live in the middle of no where), college student just looking for help to pay the almost scandalous tuition cost for school.
Now I am not saying that any of those causes don’t need help paying for school I think it awesome that all those groups have help with pursuing there education I Just think it’s not fair that because I am the average of all those things I don’t get anything but websites like fastweb.com, or scholarship.com which only offer contest after contest that are near to impossible to win because soooo many people are running into the same problem! Is it right that because I am the average well behaved student that I don’t get extra help I mean come on me being the average student doesn’t make school any less expensive for me and certainly dose NOT mean I don’t need help paying for school!! Something obviously needs to be done if I am considering cutting off my left arm, becoming vegan, and scheduling dates with women just to pay for school!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I am also a single, white female without children. I made the permanent decision at 28 to not have children and had a hysterectomy. I made the decision to return to college at the age of 35 after an ugly divorce and the suicide of my longtime employer. Finding extra money for college IS very frustrating and also quite discouraging. I do believe that we are a minority (even more so after reading the definition) and as a minority we should be able to have access to more scholarships and/or grants.
Have a great day!

K.B.