"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Sunday, June 13, 2010

pretzels with mustard

On June 2nd of this year I received an acceptance letter to the Art Institute of California in San Diego.

On Sunday, June 13th, I turned it down.

I'm still in a bit of shock.

Am I crazy? San Diego, California?

Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago, but I hate the winters. Seeing as how winter is the prominent season here lasting for about half of the year, I love Chicago about 50% of the time. With the weather warming up and the sun coming out, I have officially began my love fest with Chicago and am pleased as a pretzel covered in mustard to be living here. (That's a good thing for those of you who are wondering. I also like cream cheese on my pretzels.)

None the less... California? It's been a dream of mine to live on the coast of California for at least one, if even a short one, season of my life. None the less, I don't think it is time for that season just quite yet. I researched everything from food to churches, but mostly the cost of living, and it was at that point that I mustered up my best Italian accent and blurted out... "heeey, forget about it!"

I will get there one day, but seeing as I'm only 26 with a whole life a head of me and a lot of debt in front of me, I decided I should stay put (for now) and pay off my debt. Only when I'm debt free can I live completely care free on the coast of California.

With my lease being up in August, a decision to make about Moody, and the thought of California behind me, I recently thought it would be a great idea to add another major decision to my already full plate... I may not be going to California, but what's to stop me from going to art school (other than that four letter d-word... debt!)?

Now, before some of you go all corporate on me, hear me out...



tomorrow.

I gotta go to bed so I can wake up at an ungodly hour to serve coffee and steam milk, but no worries...

along with my internet, the blog-a-day challenge is back on!


to be continued...



1 comment:

Jaimie's Life Adventures said...

Ive pondered the same things..school...and debt. I wish education wasnt so expensive. San Diego is a beautiful place and Im sure when you do make it out to Cali. it will be the right time. Its a beautiful place and sometimes wish I was back there, ESPECIALLY during the winter. ;)

Jaimie