"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Saturday, April 24, 2010

continued...

I was wearing a hat on Thursday when my mom picked me up from the airport... for good reason. Although I do love wearing hats, I especially love getting a rise out of my mom, and I wanted to make sure my timing was perfect for when I would reveal my new do.

We had to stop by the grocery store on the way back home and seeing as it was so much warmer in SC than when I left Chicago, I decided to swap out my hat for a headband. We finished our shopping (and I finished every sample offered because I was starving when I got off the plane), loaded up the car and headed for home.

I finally asked... "so mom, did you notice my haircut?" She looked at the back of my head (the front being covered by a large headband) and in her classic, excited high pitched voice she responded, "OH, Jennie Joy, yea... it looks good. I can never tell because every time you come home it's always so different. Sometimes it's short, sometimes it's long, sometimes you have bangs..."

Before she could finish describing the diversity of my previous hairstyles, I interrupted... "well, you could kinda say that's what it's like now... some of it's short, some of it's long..."

"What do you mean?" she asked sounding less excited.

I took the headband off.

Now, you have to understand, I was particularly excited to see my mother's response because I knew she wouldn't want to hurt my feelings (in fear I might relapse) but I also knew that my mother has never been a good liar and the expression would be all over her face. A good quality to have, but she'd make a horrible poker player.

Her mouth opened... she gasped and kinda got out "OOHHH" before I chimed in with "I cut it myself!"

She took a deep breath... "were you awake?"

I smiled, "yup! And sober!"

"Well, that's good," she said, "but did you mean to cut it like that?"

Joking around with her a bit, I told her not only had I meant to cut it like that, but it was actually the new style. You have to understand... I was missing the whole front left side, while the right side laid long and proud.

She started to laugh quietly to herself and I couldn't help but join in. We both just started laughing hysterically. As we were laughing, she handed me the phone... "here, let's call and see if you can make an appointment to get it fixed while you're here."

I literally made an appointment for the next day right there in the car on my way home.

My mother was thrilled!

We finally made it home, and my grandma was not so shy about expressing her opinion...

"JJ... you look scared half to death! "

I laughed.

"No, really, you look like you stuck your finger in a light socket!"


Wanting to make my mother and grandmother proud, I woke up the next morning...

and canceled my hair appointment.


My hair looked awful...
but the beach was beautiful!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great story! I've only met you once on the stairwell leading to Joe's but I love reading your blog. Great stuff.

-Chris