"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Friday, April 16, 2010

cravings

I don't feel like writing today.

Unfortunately, the blog challenge is not to write when I feel like it, its to write everyday... no matter what I feel like. It seemed simple enough at first, but I guess it's days like this that make it a challenge.

I read something this morning that I've been thinking about all day. I usually nap everyday, but today I decided to keep going... maybe that's why I'm so tired right now. Either way, I want to share what I read. I realize it's kind of a cop out to copy and paste something on my blog just so I can check off "write everyday" on my imaginary "to do" list, but the rules of the daily blog challenge never got that specific, so I see no harm in "sharing" what's been on my mind all day.

This is an excerpt from a daily devotional by Oswald Chambers, whom I know at least one of you are familiar with. Its interesting that I'm coping out and posting this just because I don't feel like writing.

Once you read it, I'm sure you'll understand why.



CAN YOU COME DOWN?


"While ye have light, believe in the light." John 12:36

We all have moments when we feel better than our best, and we say - "I feel fit for anything; if only I could be like this always!" We are not meant to be. Those moments are moments of insight which we have to live up to when we do not feel like it. Many of us are no good for this workaday world when there is no high hour. We must bring our commonplace life up to the standard revealed in the high hour.

Never allow a feeling which was stirred in you in the high hour to evaporate. Don't put your mental feet on the mantelpiece and say - "What a marvelous state of mind to be in!" Act immediately, do something, if only because you would rather not do it. If in a prayer meeting God has shown you something to do, don't say - "I'll do it"; do it! Take yourself by the scruff of the neck and shake off your incarnate laziness. Laziness is always seen in cravings for the high hour; we talk about working up to a time on the mount. We have to learn to live in the grey day according to what we saw on the mount.

Don't cave in because you have been baffled once, get at it again. Burn your bridges behind you, and stand committed to God by your own act. Never revise your decisions, but see that you make your decisions in the light of the high hour.

No comments: