"I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am."

-Brian Andreas

Monday, April 12, 2010

someone

I have this sticker on my computer that says "write everyday."

I thought by having it on my computer, it would motivate me to do so.

It actually does the exact opposite. I look at the sticker and think "what a good idea," but then when I don't do it I feel somewhat like a loser or a failure, or just plain lazy. Instead of feeling motivated I feel tired from all of my negative self talk and opt for a nap instead.

I'm pretty sure I would feel really good about myself if I had a sticker above my bed that said "nap everyday." I would definitely feel well accomplished.

As much as I really do love writing, it's hard to find time for it. That and the fact that it's hard to get past the thought that anyone would want to read what I have to say. I saw a tee shirt once that said "your blog sucks" and I may have taken it personally... even though this kid had no idea who I was or that I even had a blog.

Women.

I put the "me" in women. I used to think I was different and so not the emotional type. That was until I got older and realized that there really is something about the way women are wired that just makes us crazy.

That's another topic I would love to discuss sometime, but for now I just want to get to the point.

Someone challenged me to write on my blog everyday, even if it's just a sentence or two, to at least get me in the habit of writing, and they also would take on that challenge.

Today is day one and I find myself without much to say, but up to the challenge. So here I write, mostly about nothing, but excited and slightly nervous to see what will come of this.

Thank you, dear someone, for encouraging me to write and taking part in this challenge with me.

This has long been one of my favorite quotes, but I have yet to live it out. I hope this inspires us both...



“Write everyday. Line by line, page by page, hour by hour. Do this despite fear. For above all else, beyond imagination and skill, what the world asks of you is courage. Courage to risk rejection, ridicule and failure. As you follow the quest for stories told with meaning and beauty, study thoughtfully, but write boldly. Then, like the hero of the fable, your dance will dazzle the world.”


–Robert Mckee

5 comments:

Reenie said...

I found you from your someone's blog- my favorite cousin ;) Good post. I am the same way. I want to write something good, something memorable... and yet, I don't. I post meaningless things, and certainly not every day... you two are almost inspiring me to write every day, except the work... and I should also nap every day... hmmm. Happy blogging JJ. Now I'm blog stalking you ;)

Shelley said...

Okay, besides me, I know that God would love for you to write everyday. Why? Because you have a fantastic gift that He gave you. When you write, it as if I am experiencing it with you, and I love that.

I need to write everyday as well. Don't forget the story that you write is part of His story. Also, I miss you tons and when you write its almost as good as seeing you.

Anonymous said...

JJ- I am glad that you are back to writing - sharing - and expressing your thoughts & feelings ! You are such a good writer.
Love,
Ma

Anonymous said...

JJ - I am glad that you are writing again - I love to read what you write - your express yourself so well.
Who challenged you to get back into your blogging?
Love,
Ma

Ian said...

I know, I know!